Thursday, June 2, 2011

God is Love

I have to start this post by expressing my love for my husband's (but really ours) Grandpa Manning. I briefly wrote about him a few posts ago. He was bucked off a horse and lifeflighted to IMC a few days ago. He was in the ICU just a few doors down from Scott. He had a C6-C7 neck injury that left him paralyzed. He passed away earlier today. We are so sad but we know we will see him again. We are eternally grateful for the wonderful Plan of Salvation that a loving Heavenly Father laid out for each of us. We love you Grandpa Manning!

Words can not express what I want to share with each of you tonight. I hope my attempt will show you some glimpse of an amazing moment.

They had stopped Scott's sedation medication mid morning to help him wake up before they took the breathing tube out. Scott had not even budged hours after the medication was turned off. The nurse thought it would still be a long time before he was ready to be extubated.

Our parents slipped down to the cafeteria to eat and I joined them a few minutes after. We ate and made our way back up to the ICU. Mom and I went in first to check on Scott's progress. When we made it to the door, I saw that the Respiratory Therapist was packing up the ventilator. We quickly saw that Scott had been extubated. Mom and I went on the side of his bed and touched him and told him how much we loved him. Scott started to cry and we all shed many happy and thankful tears. Scott was back.

I called Janiece and told her with so much happiness in my heart that Scott was awake and he was himself. I put the phone next to Scott's ear and heard his dear wife tell him how much she loved him in between sobs. There was not a dry eye in the room. Thank you Janiece for loving Scott so much! I can't explain the magnitude and emotion that was in these moments. I can only say that I am blessed to have been there.

I asked the nurse how Scott how the extubation had went and this is what she told me:

Scott had been so very sedated she did not expect him to wake before she left at 7:00 tonight. She went in to check on him around 2:00 and he had his eyes open. The nurse asked Scott if he was ready to have the breathing tube taken out and he calmly shook his head yes.

They took the breathing tube out minutes later. After Scott had a minute to recover, in his raspy voice he asked where Janiece and his children were. The nurse explained that Janiece had gone home to attend Shaunie's graduation ceremony. Scott started to cry and said "I really wanted to go to that."

Shaunie, I know your Dad is so proud of you and it broke his heart to not be there for you tonight. The nurse commented on how she could feel his love for you and his great sadness that he had missed this important milestone in your life. He would have given anything to have been able to go.

Mom and I saw Scott moments after this and only moments after I had found out that Grandpa Manning passed away. Both moments were peaceful, calm, filled with love, happiness, and comfort.

Scott did not remember much initially, but as the night has progressed he is remembering more and more. I think he senses how ill he was. He desperately wants to go home, and we desperately want to take him home (when he is ready, of course!).

We are hugging everyone a little tighter tonight and thanking God for his comforting peace and his endless love.

We have so much to be grateful for.

2 comments:

  1. Oh April I am wiping the tears as I read this. So much to cope with and yet you are a pillar of love, strength and faith. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Your faith is an example for us all. Please share our love with all the Newman's and tell Scott he has more 3 more graduations that he needs to attend so focus on getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of Cam's grandpa. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I cried as I read your post. I am so glad to hear that Scott is doing much better. I still continue to pray for him daily. I love reading the good news.

    ReplyDelete