Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Some Answers...but not all

I'm sitting by Scott's bed while I type this. It's difficult to see him intubated and with a million things strapped to his hands and arms. But he looks like he is resting comfortably and so much more peaceful than he has been the last two days.

11:30pm turned into 2:45am last night this morning, before Scott was able to have his CT scan and we were able to hear the results.

Apparently, his blood gases weren't "okay." His bicarb (one of the labs from his blood gases-to tell how well Scott was oxygenating his body) was low and they did not want to do the CT scan until he was able to receive a replacement of bicarb through his IV. This took awhile.

Overall, Scott's CT scan looked good.
He DOES NOT have any problems with his brain.
He DOES NOT have any blood clots.
He DOES NOT have any problems with his heart.

Praise God! These were some of the main concerns and we are now able to rule them out.

A plueral effusion (a build up of fluid between the tissues that line the lungs and chest cavity)was noted on his CT Scan on his lungs.

And of course, his liver impairment was noted on his CT scan. His liver is very small, but I don't know how it compares to his CT scan he had done months ago, when his liver problem was first diagnosed.

Right now, they believe that Scott has another infection (but not the same one that required his leg to be amputated). He again is on three antibiotics.

I haven't heard much about his labs and am waiting for them to round on Scott to learn more. They usually don't include family on these rounds, but I asked (nicely, of course :) to be included. their is a team of doctors helping Scott, sometimes the family never sees them. The ICU is it's own little world, it is great, and we are so pleased with Scott's care. I'm so grateful he is here and their is not a doubt in my mind that this is what Scott needs right now. I am struggling though, because it feels like we are at their mercy (which we are in so many ways). I'm an information person-I like to see the lab report, I want to read the CT scan myself, I want to hear for myself what the doctors have to say about Scott and what the plan is.

When Scott was intubated last night, the ventilator was doing all the work for him. It was breathing for Scott 100%, not necessarily because he could not do any of it on his own, but because he needed it would allow him to rest. This morning, he is still on the ventilator, but he is doing the work (breathing) himself.

His nurse last night told me that the intubation went really well. They did not have any difficulty placing the tube and Scott was sedated well and did not fight it. I was extremely worried about this and was so happy to hear this report.

I have a few concerns I want to address when I attend rounds this morning (yes, I am that annoying family member) :)

Questions to be addressed:
Scott is swelling again. He was on a diuretic before he came to the ICU but he has not had it since. With only a few hours under his belt, his hands and leg/foot are once again swollen.

Where do they believe the infection originated? (UTI? Lungs? Central line?). I realize that this is not top priority because he is being treated for every and any bug, but I think we can take steps in the future, for preventing, this if we could now where it came from.

What is the tentative time frame to leave Scott intubated/sedated? (initially we heard 2-3 days, but the nurse last night acted like it might be longer)

I also want to ensure his skin is being watched closely. He has a few areas of breakdown and I am terrified that they may turn into something worse if we do not watch closely and turn/move him often.

I have so many questions. I realize and know, that there are not going to be specific answers for many of them. I know we have to take this day by day, and it is difficult to predict how long he will be on the ventilator (or any other given problem) because tomorrow might be different than today.
I'm satisfied that he appears to be resting and I can't tell you how much I am praying that his brain is peaceful too--that these sleep induced days are doing what we hope they are.

I will update again after the rounds.

Much love,

April

1 comment:

  1. April what a blessing the family has in you to know enough to ASK all these questions. To even know what questions to ask and what the answers mean. How many of us in this situation would just stare and nod when the dr.s run off a list of numbers and tests that we wouldn't understand. What an amazing role you play in this whole picture. We appreciate your updates but your knowledge of the care Scott needs is the most valuable part. What a blessing you are to your family. Loves! Mike & Victoria

    ReplyDelete