Monday, June 13, 2011

Newsworthy :)


There hasn't been much new information to post the last two days...hence why I haven't posted!
If I had posted the last two days this is what they would have looked like:

"Scott wants to go home. The doctors tell him he can't go home yet. Scott is not happy about this. Scott thinks the food at the hospital is terrible. The end."

But today, I have some good news to report...if everything goes as planned, Scott will be going HOME this Wednesday! He was told this morning, that he might be able to go home tomorrow, but the doc decided that Wednesday would be best, to ensure all was in order before the big day. Scott was pretty disappointed that tomorrow was out, but hey, what's 24 more hours when you have already been in the hospital for 624 (aka 26 days)? :)

Scott still has his PICC line (the long term IV). Today he had to receive Albumin in it, because his level was too low. Again, this can be caused by his liver impairment. There is no plan for Scott, to go home with his PICC line though, and it should come out before he is discharged. I know Scott will be glad to be rid of it.

They did change Scott's dressings and vacuums on his amputated leg yesterday, and that is still quite painful for him. I don't know how often he will have to have this done when he comes home.

Scott is progressing well in Physical Therapy. He has not had any more falls! The other day they took him out to the parking lot and he practiced getting in and out of his own truck. I was seriously afraid he was going to take off in the thing and not look back...luckily he behaved.




Since I put out the request for people to send cards for Scott, not a single day (that we receive mail anyway!) has gone by that I have not received a card (or more likely many cards!) for Scott. I assure you, that each one has made it to Scott. Each one has been loved and a source of encouragement for ALL of us. I can't thank you enough. It has been so fun to see the support "mailed" in for Scott. I have loved it just as much. Again, thank you.

I have to tell Janiece how much I love and appreciate her too. Because Scott was the oldest and I will forever be "the baby" :) Janiece was my idol growing up. You know the annoying sister that hangs all over your crush? Well, that was me. I always thought that Janiece was coming to visit me, not Scott. I wanted to scream with excitement when I got to stand in their wedding line. I loved every moment of shaking hands with all the people who came to wish Scott and Janiece well on their wedding. You would have thought the celebration was for me, because of how excited I was. When my nieces came into the world (and later my nephew), I loved them fiercely and was their number one aunt (at least in my eyes :) I took them to show and tell, and told everyone who would listen, that I had a sister in law and later that I was an aunt. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I've always loved Janiece, but even more deeply now. I have seen her stand with courage and face these challenges head on, never wavering in her faith or love for my brother. I am so happy he has someone who loves him so much. I know he will be fine, because he has Janiece by his side. She has shown compassion, when it was difficult! She has learned and done things that I am sure were never things she wanted to do. She has stayed by Scott's side, away from home and all of those comforts, because Scott wanted her there. Tomorrow is their 20th wedding anniversary and instead of spending it on a night out, she and Scott will be spending it at the hospital. When I expressed my sorrow in that, when talking to Janiece, she said "it's okay." And she's right, it doesn't matter...love is so much more than that. Thank you for teaching me that, Janiece. I love you to the moon and back.





I am proud of Scott and so relieved he is at the point he is right now. He still has a long road of recovery ahead of him and I pray daily that things will go as smoothly as possible. I pray that I see Scott smiling, happy, and healthy at the Box Elder County Fair in just a few short weeks-doing the things he loves and delighting in the sight of his children doing what they love. I know it will happen.


Thanks for following Scott's blog and continuing to check in. It has been an absolute joy and wonderful therapy for me to write it. I have so enjoyed doing it...even the times when I couldn't see the screen through my tears.

I still plan on writing updates and putting out information for the blood drive when the finishing touches are complete. I hope you will still continue to read.

I love to write, yet I can't find the words now to express my gratitude. Thank you, does not seem like enough. I kind of wish I could move back "home" for awhile to meet those of you I don't know and tell all of you personally how much your support has meant.


"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it" William Arthur Ward

"Cease not to give thanks...." Ephesians 1:16

With so much gratitude,
April

4 comments:

  1. April you are TRUELY AMAZING:) Its crazy how close we always thought we have been and then tragedy hits a family and we become even closer. I LOVE you so much and you couldn't of said it better THANK YOU just doesn't seem to be enough. This blog has touched so many and helped each of us share together hard times and happy times. Life would not be complete without FAMILY. THANK YOU!! LOVE Scott and Janiece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you April for keeping the blog updated about Scott. It's been so nice to be able to check on his progress without having to "bother" anyone with phone calls and messages. We love the Newman/Coombs Families and will continue to pray for them and Scott's recovery.
    Mark and Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have really appreciated the updates you have given us on this blog April. We think of Janiece & Scott & the kids constantly...you are all wonderful examples of a loving family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April- thank you for posting updates so faithfully. Before I was made aware of it, we were constantly asking, Do you know how Scott is? Have you heard anything about Scott? It has been nice to just quickly check the blog and be informed. We pray for Scott, Janiece, their children and all of the Newman family as you go thorough this difficult time. You have all been little troopers and I know that your support has been what has been keeping him going. You guys are incredible!

    ReplyDelete