Monday, June 6, 2011

Looking up!



Scott is doing better everyday. He looks so different to me. He looks a little paler and like he has lost a lot of weight.

Before he left the ICU they did a Cortisol Test. Cortisol is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands. It breaks down protein, lipids (fat), glucose, and also maintain blood pressure (which Scott was not doing well). It also helps with the functions of the immune system (which again, Scott's was not doing too well). Lack of cortisol can also cause someone to have fatigue, which Scott has been experiencing long before he was admitted. The test showed that Scott was not producing enough (if any) cortisone. We don't know if this has been a chronic problem or is something that just started happening. Regardless, Scott was started on a steroid and it has made him feel so much better. Unfortunately, you can't stay on a steroid forever and they are already tapering him off of his. Hopefully, it gave him the boost he needs though to continue to get well.

Yesterday, Scott was able to get in a wheelchair and go for a ride in the halls. He did great, but by the end was absolutely exhausted. They are wanting Scott to stay awake more during the day and sleep during the night (you know, a regular schedule! :)

Scott is so anxious to get home. He keeps telling everyone that Wednesday he is leaving....we'll see. He hasn't attended any rehab (although he has had short visits from the physical therapist each day) and I think it very important that he does. I know how badly he wants to go home and I want him to be able to go home too. I just think it is going to be more difficult than he anticipates. He is still so weak. The goal is for Scott to be up and about using crutches, and I don't think he is ready for that, yet. I worry that if he doesn't get in a few good days of intense rehab he is going to be "behind" in his healing and moving.

I can't believe we have been "living" this for almost three weeks now. Slowly, I have been getting back to "real life" and it's hard to do. I miss not spending all day/most days at the hospital. When I leave, all I can think about is when I will be able to get back. When I'm there I feel like I am "doing something." My Mom and I were talking last night and we both agree that we are changed now. We want to be better and do better.

"What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" Mary Ann Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment