Friday, May 27, 2011

The "Evil Sister" and a few other funnies

Throughout all this, Scott has given us many times to laugh. It lightens the mood and helps us to know that our Scott is still in there. I can't say if we can blame any of these on his medication fog or just blame them on Scott! :)

The evil sister...

I can be as equally bullheaded as Scott. Throughout his hospital stay I have been the one expecting that extra 10% when I know Scott is already giving 100%. For example, when we helped him get in the chair for the first time, Scott was ready to be done, he was exhausted. He said "I gotta sit back down" (on the bed) and my response was "no, you're going to sit down in the chair" and guess what--He DID it!

The next day as I was sitting with Scott alone in his room, the physical therapist came in and instructed us both on some exercises he could do while he is in bed. Guess who the drill Sergeant was, making sure Scott did ALL his exercises that day? Even when he told me "he had had enough" I told him he could do two more.

Scott is also supposed to use his incentive spirometry every hour (a little machine that tells us how his lungs are functioning and also helps to provide them with some "exercise", reducing Scott's risk of getting pneumonia). Well I am sure you can guess who was putting that "damn plastic thing" (Scott's words) in his mouth every hour...that's right, me!

Well one evening after all these events, I was helping Scott's nurse give him a "bath" (Scott says-that ain't no bath). The nurse said "Scott, you sure have a nice sister to help give you a bath, I don't think I would be helping my brother." Scott looked up at me and said "actually, she is the evil sister!"

I think he is right! ha! :)

Our mom, me, and Scott. Imagine me saying "Scott you only did 19 leg lifts instead of 20!

Scott's Pet...

Mick made Scott a little ceramic turtle at the art fair, he went to, when he was staying with my husband. He made a little box for his turtle and wanted to give it to his Dad. He convinced Janiece that Scott needed a pet, and that the turtle he had, "didn't move much" He had Janiece convinced that he did, in fact, have a live turtle and that it could be Scott's therapy pet. Janiece had a difficult time convincing Mick that he couldn't bring in any animals to the hospital. We all had a laugh when Janiece saw Mick's pink painted turtle. It now resides in Scott's room.




Water...
We all know how much Scott has wanted for water throughout this hospital stay. One day he was allowed some ice chips. This did nothing for his thirst and only made it worse when we offered again and again to give him some ice chips, but all he wanted was a big ol' gulp of WATER!

Finally, he told Shelby, that she needed to eat the ice chips and he started feeding them to her.

More with the water...
The day that Scott could not have a single drop of water, was a terrible day. Scott was borderline furious about it. Every.single.person that came into his room, Scott, begged and pleaded with, to get him some water. He even offered some, $500 just for a sip of water! :)

The nurse came in to give him some pills, with about 1/4 inch of water in a cup to swallow them with. Scott took the pills and then secretely held on to the cup. This became Scott's "paci." He hid it under the blankets and in his gown, so the nurse wouldn't find it. Having that cup, in his mind, meant he was one step closer to getting a drink. He would not let anyone touch his "paci" and did a great job of hiding it!

Scott and his "paci" don't let it fool you--that is a death grip!

One non-water allowed morning, Scott's nurse started talking about getting up in the chair later on. Scott threw his hands in the air and said "I am NOT getting up until someone gives me some water!" The nurse said, "Scott, I'm not worried about it!"

Cards...
I can't thank each of you enough for sending the cards. I have absolutely loved getting my mail each day and seeing the cards. It is even more enjoyable though, to take them to Scott. He loves them. We really truly have almost plastered Scott's walls with love and encouraging words. One of the nurses said "I don't think I have ever seen this many cards!" Thank you!

A funny story about the cards...our cousin Mrs. Fuller, 5th grade teacher extraordinaire, had her classes make cards for Scott. It was so fun to read them and hang them on the wall. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the 5th graders cards:

"Have a great weekend!"

"Even though you only have one leg now, you can do anything you want! You can play sports now or anything!"

"I hope your procedure thingy goes well"

"I have never been in the hospital before, is it scary?"

"My name is Ambrosia, but lots of people can't remember that name. If you can't remember it, just try to remember Nicole, to help remind you of it"

"Just think +, not -"

"Remember to smile like this boy" (With the cutest picture of a boy with a huge smile and...only one leg)

Thank you Mrs. Fuller! The cards are perfect! We love them!


More funnies:

On Scott's second day in the hospital. He was ready to leave. He told us all to plan on him going to work that afternoon. After multiple explanations that he was going to be in the hospital for awhile, he gave up on us and started devising his own escape plan. All he needed "was a generator, to get that truck out there (pointing out the window) going, and he was outta here!"

After Scott got in the chair for the first time, he was rewarded with some jello and other liquid type foods. Janiece was to the side of him helping and I stood in front of him helping. A nurse walked by and said "What great service!" Scott gave her a smirk and then put a certain finger up, by his leg. Thankfully only Janiece and I saw, and we couldn't help but laugh!



The sleeping beauties....Scott and our Dad, Doug. The nurse came in and asked which one "got the shot?" and Scott immediately pointed at Dad!



Again, Scott has had such a positive, uplifiting attitude. He is still funny, still swears like a sailor, and knows that this had to happen to save his life. He is okay with it. He wants to move forward. We can't wait to keep moving forward with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment