Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's Done

After the surgery, Scott's physician came to talk to us again. Scott did well during the surgery. He said that as usual, these infections are usually worse than they appear.

His leg was amputated right at the knee but the physician did see some infection on the inside lower thigh. The doctor stated that Scott would be in the hospital for a 2-3 weeks and have 4-5 more surgeries. By the time he is done Scott will have a mid-thigh amputation. As far as function goes, the doctor said it made no difference if it was at the knee or above the knee. The next surgery was scheduled for Saturday May 21st.

The surgeries would consist of cleaning out his wound and ensuring that they truly did remove all of the infectious tissue and dead tissue. The later surgeries would consist of closing the wound.

Scott was immediatly extubated (the breathing tube was taken out of his mouth) which was a great sign. He was very sleepy that first night. He would wake for brief moments but never enough to be told or know that his leg had been amputated. He did wake up at one point and wanted a drink. The nurse, myself, and our Dad was in the room. Here's a playback of the conversation:

Scott: I want a drink (wide eyed and lifting his head up)
Nurse: Not yet Scott, you just had surgery.
Scott: I had the surgery?
Nurse: Yes.
Scott: How did it go?
Insert long silence... I wasn't sure if the nurse wanted to tell him, if I should run out and get Janiece...
Scott: (looking right at me) How did the surgery go?
April (me): Scott, they had to cut off your leg.
Scott: Bullshit! :)
April: No, Scott, they really did.
Scott: Nah, it's there.
Then immediately back to sleep.

It broke my heart in a million pieces to tell Scott this. I knew though that he did not grasp it and would not remember that this had happened. Part of me so badly wanted him to know, to be aware, so he could move forward, and the rest of us could breath, but the anesthesia won over and I knew he would need to be told again.

From what I hear, Scott had a pretty good night postsurgery #1. He slept well and only received one dose of pain medication. His pain was so terrible before his surgery that the amputation pain was nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment