Thursday, May 26, 2011

A little better

Scott is doing a little better tonight. When I was in seeing him and asking all my questions..."How is your pain, how is your nausea?" The only answer I got was a half asleep "Good."

I'll take it. :)

Scott was having a "sharp, stabbing pain in his (amputated) leg today." This has caused him much suffering today. Finally his pain is tolerable and overall his nausea has improved. In his words "it comes in waves"

He is able to be off the oxygen when he is awake but needs it while he sleeps....which is still most of the time.

He has been able to drink the few liquids he has been offered today, but doesn't have any appetite for solids. He looked at his dinner tray tonight and told me "nothing on that is edible." We've offered to get him whatever he wants but he isn't hungry for anything, either.


Shirts that the kiddos made and wore "Scott is our #1 fighter"



Here is the lab report for today:


As I was leaving they were drawing his labs to check his sodium again. I haven't heard the results yet. Pray that his sodium level returns to normal and his kidneys will be functioning the way they should. Just like we learned yesterday (remember the sodium and potassium inverse relationship? :)) Scott's potassium today was 4.2 which is normal so just like the textbook says...today his sodium is low. His body is working overtime trying to correct itself.


WBC today was 15.1 (normal is below 10.) Again this is trending upward and we would like to see it going down. This isn't worrisome yet because it is believed that it is Scott's body trying to heal from the multiple surgeries etc and not a sign of infection. He is still on the IV antibiotics so if the elevated WBC count is from infection the antibiotics he is still on should be killing it.


His platelets today were 66--(normal is above 150), they are down a bit from yesterday but hovering right around Scott's "normal". Our livers are responsible for the synthesis of plasma proteins, including our clotting factors--platelets. Basically, Scott's liver isn't doing its part to keep his platelet level in a normal range.


Overall, Scott feels better than he did this morning. His room is full of cards, signs, flowers, and of course, the combine and herd of cows Mick brought for him. :)


My three year old daughter, Hannah loves Scott. I hate to even tell this story, but my Mom says I need to document it. Anyway, when I explained to Hannah that Scott wasn't going to have his leg anymore she said "I can't be his friend anymore!" It broke my heart. Since Scott is no longer in the ICU we were able to take Hannah in to see him today. I was so worried about how she would react. Scott wanted to show Hannah his leg. Hannah looked and said "It's okay!" She immediately wanted to see his other leg to make sure it was still there.


On the ride home Hannah said "I can still be Scott's friend, his cut leg is okay!"

1 comment:

  1. April - thank you so much for your posts and updates. Your stories and so touching and tender. We appreciate knowing how things are going. We Love the NEWMANS!

    ReplyDelete